Sunday, April 26, 2009

Yummy Chocolate Cake (Dairy and Egg Free)

My youngest has food allergies and when it comes time for birthdays I feel so bad for her. Well I did until we found this recipe which I have had for awhile but got it just right enough to share.  All the girls have approved as well as the hubs.

3 Cups flour ( I use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour)
1 1/2 Cups brown sugar
1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoons salt
2 Cups water
1/4 cup oil
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix all dry ingredients then add the wet and mix until smooth.  Bake @ 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes in a Large Muffin  or 18 for a small muffin pan if making cupcakes and if you are making a cake be sure to check it around 20 minutes.  The key is to not over bake them otherwise they are too dry and these should be very moist. 

I received this recipe from a friend and tweaked it just a little and now my little one can enjoy cake too.  

For dairy free frosting: I use a couple of Tablespoons of Smart Balance Light ( the light doesn't have whey but the other one does ) and powdered sugar.  I don't measure but it was probably like a 1/2 of cup or so of sugar.

1 comment:

monica said...

Hi

I came across this blog and she does these mystery-spice Mondays and thought of you. Sounds like fun. You can go here and see what I am talking about.

http://theatoztwins.blogspot.com/2009/05/mystery-spice-monday-lemon-chicken.html